Friday, August 19, 2005

my heart breaks... what does On The Go mean??

***DUE TO THE SENSITIVITY OF THIS POST, IT IS MY OPINION***I recommend reading a few times...

Everyday we have soldiers of all different military branches come in, but the majority are in the army. Believe it or not, I have had some great conversations with them, and not so great conversations, some of just pain and agony. This redheaded guy came in and you could tell he really had something on his mind. If they start a conversation with us, we can chat, but were asked not to start conversations with them about the war. This guy sat in our store for 3 hours, just crying, emotional, and he just wanted to talk, so of course everybody says, "send Thompson, he will like to talk to him," The guy came home for his two week RandR, and caught his wife with his bestfriend obviously in bed. He was just heart broken and pissed, that he had to go back and fight a war that HE BELIEVED they should not be fighting any longer, and wished he could stay home and mend his broken relationships. He kept telling me, "with 1500 soldiers all ready dead, we will be fighting this war a lifetime, and we will be there in this area atleast 3 or 4 more years." "This president has no clue as to what he is doing to the lives of all these people he is effecting by keeping this war going, and just to protect the word FREEDOM," he said son, "we don't have freedom in this country any longer, back in the day-yes now, sorry I don't buy it"

One thing that breaks my heart is to see people that don't even know these soldiers, and insist on picking up their tab, these military guys, are just so grateful, when I go and tell them there whole meal has been bought. Most of them don't understand why they don't have a tab, but when we point out that this person or that person picked up their tab, or someone sent over a note thanking them for the great job they are doing, you can see them start to get overcome with emotion with tears, hugs, and joyful, grateful hearts. I love these moments, because you realize life is not all about you, but them.
Back to the FIRST paragraph---Now we have to worry about lawsuits from friends, family, and people we don't even know, social security and Medicare that will be obsolete in the near future, shootings, muggings, car jackers, rapist, identity theft, road rage people getting off on murder charges just to name a few. ( Just a side note, after living here in Texas I am grateful that God has seen fit to keep me here, but also, I have had more close calls with death, road rage, and guns pointed to my head here in Texas, than all my travels including Europe, I am thankful to be alive)

I probably will touch on this later, but I completely agree with him, that is one reason and the only reason why I do not enjoy or want to live here in the u. s. any longer than I have to. We can not even spell freedom, or realize it does not even exist in America. YES, THIS IS MY OPINION, but I cant wait till the day, when I can give a hug and kiss goodbye to my family and friends, and move to where I know I will be free - in Western Europe to enjoy P E A C E. Free from what you might ask? Take a little break from life and travel to W.Europe, and my friend you will soon realize, we have been striped from our freedom, and dignity in the name of what?? There people enjoy life, hope, peace, happiness, the gift of being alive, time, health, thankful, grateful, and are not consumed with pride, envy, lust, self esteem, and the fact they are they are NOT the only human beings on planet earth. They take long breakfast breaks, long lunches, siesta, 2-3 hour dinners, they are not consumed by me, me, me, or getting a nicer car, larger boat, a bigger estate, and are not in debt. Life is slowed way down to the speed of listening, thinking first, (NOT speaking to interrupt the other person), to listen, and share a shoulder to lean on. Sorry to all my friends in TEXAS, but I have not found those qualities here, a little yes, but not what I would like to have in life.

We have a On The Go? Section in the front of our restaurant. What does those 3 words mean? LET ME TELL YOU, don't buy "on the go food", and then sneak in, grab a table, that people are waiting for (because only this happens when we are on a wait), sit down in my restaurant, and take up seats for people who want to DINE IN, and then expect service, and are rude about it, when we don't give them any, so on the go means O N T H E GO.

If you cant tell I am venting for all the fine airport Fridays people, no not drama, so don't even think about emailing me negative comments like before ...please. LIKE Ed says in the pulpit, I am nipping this in the butt NOW, so if you email me, you are waisting your time.

Finally, I recommend reading it over....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dontcha just hate ad spam in comments? Anyway, I found your blog fascinating. I have lived in Germany as a missionary, and let me tell you, there may not be as much peace in Europe as you think. We just don't hear about the stuff that goes on there. And a lot of the churches there are little more than civil action groups. Relationships with Christ are fewer and farther between.

I hope God guides your steps to a fruitful and enjoyable place!

Anonymous said...

The one thing you dont understand is that these people volunteered their lives to the military. There has not been a draft in years. So, Grateful I am to all of the soldiers. But last I checked they were not forced to enlist in the military. I support out troops as often as I can. I teared up when I saw the comercial where the soldiers were walking down the airport and everyone stopped to clap. But, if they don't like their job, then they should quit!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I would like to add my "opinion" as you put it. I agree with 'Yankee'. How much non-freedom in this country do you personally face these days? If you want to move to W. Europe then I support all the way, but don't say that it is because of the lack of freedom here. As far as I know the Randy P. Thompson, who writes this blog, he has plenty of freedom and uses those. If Europe is what's calling you because it sounds like a fun place to live, then use that reason. I agree with you in, that the state of this country is in limbo and I admire your compassion for the soldiers. This entry was a great one full of debate to make people think.

S

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this entry and then the comments. I also agree that the war is terrible but I come from a long line of military family members (not me) and what irrates me the most is that these guys and gals signed up for this job they knew this was a possibility and they took it for whatever reason. I am greatful for them every day and happy that it is not me over there. And yes I hope and pray for the war to be over soon but I know that it is not in my hands but what is, it to support those over there not tear them down.
Also on texas I too see the road rage and am surprised by it but maybe just maybe you put yourself into situations where you are in jepordy???
One last thing. I have know you for 5 years now and you have always wanted to live in Europe so it is for other reasons.
j in texas