Monday, November 28, 2005

DALKE UPDATE////DALKE UPDATE

Today, my heart has been broken after I heard this news. PLEASE pray for Kevin & Jen Dalke

dimcmillen@netzero.net

More options
Nov 27 (1 day ago)

This weekend has been extremely long and emotional. I've been in close communication with Jen and went out to see the remains on Saturday along with Crystal.
First of all the Dalke's are doing really well for the most part. The girls still have lots of questions and some fear when going to sleep. When Dalia was walking through the house she said to me.. " Di Di, I don't want my house to be broken any more"- me neither I said. Josie seems pretty exicted about telling your friends about the fire and getting a new house soon. Hatti lost her hearing aides which should be covered by insurance but will take time in replacing. Please pray as she has to adjust to a classroom without them. Hatti was hoping to find some of her birthday gifts since it was in October- didn't find any.
Kev & Jen feel the comfort of the Holy Spirit as they have been surrounded by prayer by many. Thank you! They have been staying with a family that has a big house and lots of room since Thursday night. I met them last night and gave them my appreciation for taking care of my family- since I'm unable to do so in this manner. Kevin's brother, Dave and parents came down Friday night to spend some time with the family and look over the house. Kevin & Jen are amazed at the support of their church and community. It does my heart and faith good too!!!
Housing: They have a few offers for furnished homes. Unfortunately, both houses would be about 20 minutes further for Kevin's commute into Bellevue and Jen would have to drive the girls back and forth to school. They are also looking at some apartments in Griswold today... not for sure if any will work but they are hoping one will. They will need to make these decisions this week. Please pray.
Insurance: Many of you asked and yes they had insurance for the house and items in the house. Last night Crystal and I helped Jen itemize the kitchen- we were close to starting the 4th page and I'm sure we missed a few items. Crystal & I were also able to itemize the things that we had lost- not for sure whether or not they will be replaced by the insurance. Please pray for them on Monday as they will be sitting down with their insurance company to discuss all of this. Jen & Kev do feel very overwhelmed at times in making all the right decision now.


Old House: I had a lot of mixed emotions when I toured the house remains. First of all I was amazed that the exterior walls were still standing and that their was so much rumble. I figured it would of all be burnt to ashes. Secondly, I was broken hearted to see everything in such disarray. They had cleared a path in two small areas but you could barely move around because the whole house was literally on the main floor. I just can't describe it in words- It was so horific and I was thankful we had all made it out safe. It could be a different story today had this fire started late in the evening.
Jen & Kev and some friends went on Friday to see what was left. At first they are all hopefully of finding treasures among the ashes but soon realized that if you can find something that is recognizable it's usually not intact or is charred or melted etc. After a while Jen said-- why even look. They were able to pull about 20 items from the rumble this includes many of their photo albums (they may still have water damage etc) and office papers (which is amazing when you think of their location). Kev found two of Jen's rings (not her engagement ring) but they are very damaged.
Help. Many of people have asked how can they help. First of all please covet them in your prayers- continue to pray that God will go before them in every detail. Their next steps will be determined by their insurance payout. They are thankful for the offers of people wanting to give but they are not accepting any furniture at this time as they have no where to store it. A bank account has been set up in Atlantic, IA- which is so generous of the community. They have recieved a few clothing items and gift cards. If you are wanted to give please contact me further.
Thank you for loving my family and praying for all of us- It will be awhile before things will seem normal again. The Briethhaupts, the Dalke's and myself have decided that sometime in January, when things have settled down a bit, we are going to have a Thanksgiving dinner. Because we have a lot of things to be thankful for.

Love, Diane3333

I just want to thank everyone who have emailed me and called. Im sharing our love, prayer and thoughts. randall paul

No comments: