Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Getting closer to my dad... Talking to Hurricane Katrina victims...Your late, OH NO I AM NOT...

***This post is dedicated to Matthew and my father***

Well, my couch arrived safe and sound, it is much bigger in my small apartment, than what I remember it being. I am so appreciative of the 3 amigo's bringing it down for me. Each time I get to hangout with my dad it is sweeter, better, and I get to know him like a son should.

In my opinion, we were not close growing up through high school and college. I did not want to get to know him, and well there was not enough time. Dad and I had a great talk time today and more I hope tomorrow. I am blessed to have been passed on with great genes. He is such a loyal father, husband, friend, and brother. He cares for people and their soul's, hearts and well being. I could never reach his level of love and devotion that he has for everybody else, other than himself. Tonight, I sat and watched my dad cry, and weep over people that are asking for his prayer and support with child rearing, to marriage crisis, to our own family support of cancer on the Thompson side. People pour there hearts out to a man, that just wants to show them love and possibly Christ's heart made real through Him. I continue to struggle to love people where they are, along with myself and my many failed attempts to love people unconditionally through my faults and there own, to only realize, I am not alone. I am weak, I am poor, I am discontent with knowing that I have inherited a family trait of love, faith, and hope that I do not pass on as well as I should.

I left my dad as I tucked him in to bed, wondering if I will see him again, and to be able to share my faith with him and others, not knowing what life lies ahead for the both of us. My dad told me that there are Hurricane victim's staying at the hotel that I put him up in. As I walk past this family saying goodnight to others, I could hear them talking about not ever going home to New Orleans again. My mom physically stopped me in the lobby, and whispered you need to listen. I engaged them in conversation, and my heart broke in tears as it is now, typing. This family of 9 living in a two room hotel, have nothing except what they showed me in their room. I wanted and needed to be humbled, only cause God just blessed me with a expensive couch, and this family lost 3 homes, and everything in them. I tried to encourage them, with my own shallow faith, my sometimes poor lack of hope , and my love that is hard to express outside of my own race. After two hours of opening myself up, I am drawn to more tears, because I am so blessed with everything I have including my friends, and they are just thankful to be alive and living together in a room built for just two.

There are many other people who have poured there lives, time, and energy into my life. You know who you are, and I am thankful, but the other person, who cares for me deeply, not as much as my father, is a very good friend of mine, that I would like to wish a very Happy BIRTHDAY to. You and my father continue to pour into my life, I love you and I am glad you have not ever given up on me. You have secured a love that not many can hold on to,Your hope sustains people daily. Your faith in Christ continues to make you whole, and I pray I can continue to keep grasping onto what you all ready cling to. MATTHEW SMITH have a great BIRTH-day. You don't know how much you mean to me and others. Love you bro. rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well it is about time you gave some props to the person who raised you. He is a great man and I am glad that you are happy with your continuing relationship with him. I will never forget the trip that all of us friends took to your dad's house. So in honor of him, this is "chicken man" signing out.

S

Anonymous said...

I agree. Elmer has such a kind heart. He is generous and understanding and always there to genuinely listen. Thompson, the apple didn't fall far from the tree.
you Thompson boys are awesome!
m