Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Christmas Day/New Years Day-church or no church?? 3 miles + 2 1/2hours= stress

Well, today if my car was a padded rubber room car, I would of fit right in. I work and live just 3 miles from both jobs, (today DFW). I left work at 355pm and got home at 630pm. I got rear-ended not 5, not 6, no not even 7 times, but the magic number ladies and gentlemen for today is 8. YES, you read right, eight times, I got bumped in the butt.

(Right now I am laughing, why do I do this to myself, but I guess, in the end, I don't mind a good laugh on me). shane don't even
One guy kept on bumping me 5 times, and by the 5th bump, I got out of my car, and went and kindly asked him, "are you trying to get my attention or what," he had no clue what I was talking about, so I asked him, if he could start using his breaks, cause "you have bumped into my car 5 times", and he said, "I sure didn't know I did that". So I switched lanes, and of course someone else decided to be a dumba**, and bump me 3 other times. By this time, I was literally coming unglued-LITERALLY. I finally realized that I was sliding as well, and this nice red mustang let me use his bumper to stop with, and all that took 2 1/2 hours to drive 3 miles.

I was running through my popular reads, and came across this article in the Omaha World herald...Enjoy
Published Wednesday December 7, 2005
Churches dark on Christmas Day?

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
This Christmas, no prayers will be said in several megachurches around the country.
Even though the holiday this year falls on a Sunday, when churches normally host thousands for worship, pastors are canceling services, expecting low attendance on what they call a family day.
Critics within the evangelical community said they were stunned by the shutdowns.
"This is a consumer mentality at work: 'Let's not impose the church on people. Let's not make church in any way inconvenient,'" said David Wells, professor of history and systematic theology at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, a leading evangelical school in Hamilton, Mass. "I think what this does is feed into the individualism that is found throughout American culture, where everyone does their own thing."
Locally, a spot-check of Omaha churches showed that several may offer more Saturday Christmas Eve services, but are still having at least one Sunday worship service.
"I guess we know our people and know what the crowds will be," said Pastor Tom Fraley of Trinity Church Interdenominational.
Trinity will have three Christmas Eve services. Normally, they have one Saturday service and three Sunday services, Fraley said.
Christmas Eve services normally have a higher attendance than Christmas Day, he said. "I guess people vote with their feet," he said.
Other large Omaha churches offering multiple Christmas Eve services include King of Kings Lutheran Church, with six Saturday services, and one Sunday service, and Westside Church, with two Saturday services and one Christmas Day service.
Nationally, the megachurches closing on Christmas also plan multiple services in the days leading up to the holiday, including Christmas Eve. Most normally do not hold Christmas Day services, preferring instead to mark the holiday in the days and on the night before. However, Sunday worship has been a Christian practice since ancient times.
Cally Parkinson, a spokeswoman for Willow Creek Community Church in South Barrington, Ill., said church leaders decided that organizing services on a Christmas Sunday would not be the most effective use of staff and volunteer resources. The last time Christmas fell on a Sunday was 1994, and only a small number of people showed up to pray, she said.
"If our target and our mission is to reach the unchurched, basically the people who don't go to church, how likely is it that they'll be going to church on Christmas morning?" she said.
***Among the other megachurches closing on Christmas Day are Southland Christian Church in Nicholasville, Ky., near Lexington, and Fellowship Church in Grapevine, Texas, outside Dallas.** North Point Community Church in Alpharetta, Ga., outside Atlanta, said on its Web site that no services will be held on Christmas Day or New Year's Day, which also falls on a Sunday. A spokesman for North Point did not respond to requests for comment.
The closings stand in stark contrast to Roman Catholic parishes, which will see some of their largest crowds of the year on Christmas, and also have a tradition of midnight Mass on Christmas Eve, and mainline Protestant congregations such as Episcopal, Methodist and Lutheran churches, where Sunday services are rarely canceled.
Cindy Willison, a spokeswoman for the evangelical Southland Christian Church, said at least 500 volunteers are needed, along with staff, to run Sunday services for the estimated 8,000 people who usually attend. She said many of the volunteers appreciate the chance to spend Christmas with their families instead of working.
"If we weren't having services at all, I would probably tend to feel that we were too accommodating to the secular viewpoint, but we're having multiple services on Saturday and an additional service Friday night," Willison said. "We believe that you worship every day of the week, not just on a weekend, and you don't have to be in a church building to worship."
World-Herald staff writer Jason Kuiper contributed to this report.

No comments: