Wednesday, August 02, 2006

a friends first road trip...

I am taking one of my best friends from down here on his first road trip, which I can't believe. David Thompson and I will pull out of D-town around 2pm and head for Branson. He has been wanting to get away and wants to meet my father, and I have a couple of friends that we both need to visit. We are taking a rental car, our football we always toss around, he wants me to learn how to play tennis, so bringing some rackets, and "a lot of big game to flirt with the ladies." That is a direct quote from himAfif is not going, he will be holding down the fort here and watching the apartment.

Life has been so turned upside down after meeting this awesome person that we both agree God certainly wanted us to meet, hang out and establish a great friendship. There are only a few friends that you will meet that you get along and click with so well. We have a lot of people throwing there opinions in about our friendship, (including his girlfriend Bethany, ) but as he says, " I don't tell you who you can be friends with, and you will not tell me that I can't be friends with Randall". He is very protective of our friendship, and I can say that I am the closest to him than any other person I know of , (yes unfortunately) even over Matthew Smith.

Since march we have been hanging maybe once a week, and at my birthday we now hang at least 5 times a week. We both can honestly hangout with each other all day and night and not get sick of each other, and for him that has to be a good thing. He and I are very alike, both think logically, politically, and are spiritually alike in that "Christianity is relational, not so in your face. He is always up for a good time, very athletic, always on the go, and wants us to grow spiritually strong spurring each other on. I know you won't believe this but, I am doing a lot of changes in my life only cause he has challenged me to do so. I am more of a positive person and for some 15 years I was so negative that I have been slowly changing it. When I started hangin with him, my negativity now is not even part of my vocabulary or life. He has recognized a little athletic bone in my body, and that is why now even more, I am so on the go. I don't spend anytime inside hardly any longer, the blinds in my apartment are now always open, my window in my car is always down for fresh air. We love to go hiking, he DOES NOT LIKE FELLOWSHIP, but has been going with me for the last 5 weeks cause he knows, "that is a good opportunity for us to hangout, and I know that is what you want and like." We are always outside throwing the football, swimming and when we get back from the vacation he wants me to learn how to play volleyball better, and tennis, so "we have more time to hangout together." We are both learning how to develop better confidence and self esteem issues with-in ourselves and that is always a good thing. The down side is that since we both agree, we need to be hanging out together, we have both sacrificed a lot with other friendships. I try and encourage him to hangout with his other friends, since he is a sophomore in college, with a straight 4.0 in college, he barely cracks the books, but a good quote from him is, " I really want to hangout with you because you are so encouaging and such a positive role model in my life right now, and he always splits his time between me and then, his girl friend Bethany. He knows and finally lives my motto, "Bros before hoe's Randall."

With that I challenge you to not live life in other people's view points or opinions. We have had our times of trusting that we are making the best decision considering we are in both different age groups. I have always hung out with younger, or older and with this one it is a stretch. He is so confident that this is a good thing, that I don't even care and nor does he to hear so called friends opinions, and when I do, he is very in my face that we both need to be confident in ourselves, and no one else.

living for an audience of ONE...

No comments: