Saturday, April 04, 2009

Time for a birthday....

on the south side in Little Italy aka "Mexico". Well I jumped on the 147 heading to downtown @ 8pm and then jumped on the Pink line to Pilsen. I walked 4 full city blocks carrying my camera, food, a case beer and bottle of wine (for Eddies wife). Boy was I getting looks from the Hispanics prolly salivating over my Heineken's! I get to the party at 9pm in which I planned on arriving early to hangout with the 25 yr old birthday boy. I guess alot of other people thought that too.

When I walk in, I literally almost dropped my wine. The apartment was very dark, gloomy, hazy, (not sure from what;) all the rooms were painted very dark, gargoyles and all the scary movie monsters you could think of were up on these dark walls. When I could finally ear my own heart beat, it was to the beats of Slayer, Marlyn Manson, Korn, and etc. My spirit pre-warned me and boy was I glad for that. The party didn't even officially start till 10pm and there were already 30 people there and I was doing a all nighter and then heading to work @ 6am from their house??? I was starting to re-think that idea. His whole entire family, friends, and us co-workers from SB Illinois Center were there and all in rare form.

I have never been to the "south west side", let alone since I have just started at a new Starbucks for only a month. I def saw a different side of my co-workers. I know that I do each and every day, but these poor people "need Jesus" and I mean literally. I hung with the parents, and oh yes the grandparents, siblings and had a really good time. Eddie caught me looking at my watch and said, "bro, its only 1am, were going until you leave for work @ 5am and they did. I had to get at least 2hours, and boy was I hurting at 6am going into Ernies store in the loop.

I vowed when I became a Christian over 10years ago, that I would invest my time energy and resources to the good of the not so common people. I enjoy hanging out with these peeps that most shun and turn a def ear too. Eddie was really surprised that I came, but when he come to greet me." he said I'm glad to see you Randolla, but not surprised, b/c your one of those rare breeds that actually tell, show and love people through your actions. I guaranteed knew you would be here, thanks bro."
I think the more I hang with all different ethnic groups, I really find that the Latinos are like me they really do care and walk the talk.

P.s No I didnt take any pics, sorry.

WillowCreek.org Facebook myspace.com/randypaulthompson

No comments: